- large sweet onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped
- light olive oil to saute in (eggplant soaks up lots of oil)
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 – 3 med. tomatoes, chopped
- apx. 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice
- butter (to taste) for the rice
- sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- pinch basil
- pinch Italian seasoning
- apx. 2-3 Tbsp. dry red sherry or cooking wine
- 1 sm. can tomato paste
- 1 reg. can tomato sauce
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
Warm large cast iron pan to med. heat, add oil and eggplant.
Meanwhile, in a dutch oven type pan, add oil, onions and garlic. Saute until beginning to become tender; a few minutes.
Remember to keep turning the eggplant…
To the dutch oven, add zucchini. Allow to soften a few minutes and add bell pepper.
After a few minutes add tomatoes, and stir gently.
Add the softened eggplant, mushrooms, dry sherry, tomato sauce, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir gently.
Simmer until all the vegetables are tender.
To serve: scoop buttery rice into serving bowl, sprinkle with some parmesan cheese, and top with ratatouille. Sprinkle top with a little more parmesan cheese, if desired.