My modified, much more bread-like, version of the gluten-free, 5 minute English muffin.
- 1 tbsp Peanut Flour
- 1 tsp Green Banana Flour
- 1 tsp Protein Powder
- 1 tsp Teff Flour
- 1/2 tsp Aluminum Free Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Confectioners Swerve (heaping)
- 2 dashes Saigon Cinnamon
- 1 dash Baking Spice optional
- 1 pinch Real Salt (or Himalayan)
- 1 spray Avocado Oil (to coat inside of bowl)
- 2 Tbs Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1 large egg
- Spray or rub oil into round, microwave-safe, cereal-type bowl.
- Add remaining, liquid, ingredients and whisk well.
- Cook in microwave on regular setting for 4 minutes.
- The bowl will be hot, so use heat protection to remove from microwave.
- Slice in half, just like an English muffin.
- Pop both halves in the toaster until golden brown, or however you like it.
- Slather on your favorite (healthy of course!) toppings! (coconut oil, almond butter…)
This recipe is, coincidentally, also dairy-free and nut-free, which may be helpful to know if you are trying to avoid either of those ingredients. 😉
I linked some of the harder to find ingredients above, and the rest are either usually easy to find and/or more affordable at my local Walmart.
Switching to healthier ingredients for recipes isn’t really that complicated. It helps to get a base supply so things are handy when you get the urge to get creative in the kitchen. While some of these ingredients may seem a bit pricey at first, I don’t use much at a time, so a little goes a long way.
Incidentally, the Protein Powder in this recipe is my favorite for after workouts too. I’ll do another recipe post soon with the scoop on how I quickly mix that up. Hint: it’s chocolatey!
Another helpful hint for this recipe is to purchase the small, individual serving size, unsweetened applesauce. I found that as I’m just using 2 Tablespoons at a time, a full jar would go bad before I could use it all. Bummer. I was happy to find these little single serve size at the grocery store. After opening, I store the extra in the smallest sized (4 oz.) glass Ball jar. Easy Peasy!